An ergonomic kitchen contributes to efficiency and eliminates unnecessary steps and time. While planning your new kitchen, think about what bothers you most in your current kitchen. Is there enough space for pots and pans? Are they close enough to the stove? Is there a cabinet that seems impossible to get organized?
Here are some kitchen planning tips:
- Choose drawers for lower cabinets and create easy access to those difficult to reach items at the back of a cupboard.
- Plan for countertop space near the cooktop and ovens.
- Install the dishwasher near the dish storage area.
- Plan a work space near the sink.
- Store your plates in a bottom drawer – you can lift them easily.
- If you are left-handed, think of the location of the appliances; for example, place the dishwasher to the left of the sink.
- Plan sufficient lighting above your work space, but do have a fixture for general lighting as well.
Ergonomic design in the kitchen is a must. Not only will it facilitate meal preparation but it will help eliminate those extra steps that we don’t have time for. Allow your well-planned kitchen to simplify your life.