Condo renovations have a unique set of challenges. Be sure to consider the following:
- Your contractor will need extra time to deal with strata and building manager. Is he aware of the requirements?
- The strata will have a set of rules to follow, and they govern planning approvals as well as the work.
- The building manager will have a say in matters, too. Others must be able to continue to enjoy their homes while you risk floods and electrical shut-downs, create dust and noise, and occupy the elevator.
- Some materials may have to be carried up the stairwell. What floor are you on? Try carrying a sheet of plywood up 24 flights! Your carpenter might have to.
- Clean up requires a long trip to a truck or bin. How and when does this happen?
- How will common areas be protected from all the comings and goings? Will floor protection have to be installed and removed every day?
- Where will the trades park? How will deliveries be made? When can they be made? Do suppliers understand the challenges of parking area, your building and your elevator?
All the work takes place in a confined space. Tools and materials have to be located offsite at a cost, or on site, making work more challenging.